Dexworld.org

Well itís finally good to see you!

Welcome to the Dexworld.org forums. We like new folks around here, so since you're not registered yet, why donít you drop us a little note so we can get to know you?

We will be more than happy to show you more of our tight little community once we know who you are.

Go Back   Dexworld.org > General > Tech Support
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2015, 08:08 PM   #1
Bait
‹ber

Default port-forwarding safe?

are there any security concerns?

my nephew wants to forward one on a computer my sis does banking on.
I get that port-forwarding is only open for the apps that its associated to

but neither of them maintain or clean teh computer.

Pretty sure he wants to do it for minecraft or terraria.
Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:16 PM   #2
Mr Nice Guy
Hi! I'm an asshole!

It should be fine, and easy with how many port-forwarding webpages there are to get the right port on the first try. I ran a minecraft sever off my home computer to play with friends and it was fairly easy and harmless even with my ip being advertised in game.
Mr Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:26 AM   #3
Fysiks
‹ber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait View Post
I get that port-forwarding is only open for the apps that its associated to
That's not true. Port forwarding is based on port number, not application (but, most applications typically choose a port that they will always use). So, if you do port forward to a computer, someone could potentially spam that port with information and affect your computer (they probably couldn't hack into anything but it could affect your performance).

When I usually do is enable the port forwarding for the specific ports I'm using only while I'm using them. So, I turn it on when I want people to connect to my server and I turn it back off when I'm done. If you do this, you'll probably not need to worry about anything.
Fysiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:24 AM   #4
Bait
‹ber

Niceguy: not sure who he's gonna be playign with, thats the problem, it might be school friends or people who he meant over terr/minec
Fysix: and security risks if you don't turn it off? cuz ti involves using teh router UI to do it. And he's not router savvy yet.

"That's not true. "
are you saying , if a port is open....it can get to other apps that aren't listening on the port? ...or is it only spamming? DOS or whatever the acronym was.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:44 PM   #5
Fysiks
‹ber

Quote:
Fysix: and security risks if you don't turn it off? cuz ti involves using teh router UI to do it. And he's not router savvy yet.
Well, yeah, there are risks. How big is the risk? I'm not entirely sure but I'd venture a guess that it would be small.

One potential risk is DOS or DDOS. They do this on that port, it will affect that computer. If that port was closed, it would only affect your router (in both cases, you would probably not be able to use the internet during the (D)DOS).

Quote:
are you saying , if a port is open....it can get to other apps that aren't listening on the port? ...or is it only spamming? DOS or whatever the acronym was.
No. I said that what you said is not correct. You said "port-forwarding is only open for the apps that its associated to" which is different than "it can get to other apps that aren't listening on the port".

When you forward a port to your computer, all traffic using that port gets routed to your computer. So, your OS will be handling all that traffic regardless of which program needs it. Other programs could also be listening on the port too. While this is unlikely, it is still possible.

I can't tell you for certain whether or not they would be able to access other things that are not using that same port.

(Maybe I'm getting too technical . . .)

Doing a simple Google search and selecting the first result got me this which has a nice explanation.
Fysiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:44 PM   #6
Bait
‹ber

already read a bunch of them....thats why I came to post (googling really depends on ur search criteria/order of words)

And one of them pointed out that the port is only open to those apps listening to the port
Old 05-31-2015, 09:19 PM   #7
Mr Nice Guy
Hi! I'm an asshole!

Well the thing about Terraria / minecraft is that client side people see almost nothing about you except which ip connected to their server. If he's just using it to get connected to other people's severs it's even less likely anyone will be targeting his router for DDOS.

The thing about hosting is just that you're advertising yourself, it's not like it's opening a floodgate, simply his ip will be listed with any other public servers in either game client.

They also aren't too heavy on bandwith usage, you probably wouldn't notice anything different until an actual DOS attack severed the connection temporarily.

The main reason those 2 games would require or promote port-forwarding for connectivity is that they're made by independent developers that aren't going to lump their port usage in with things like microsoft Live games or super popular online games like WoW or CoD /CS.

In my personal experience with frequent DDOS attacks it was only when the router itself was poorly secured via passwords and usage permissions.
Mr Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote