Dexworld.org

Well itís finally good to see you!

Welcome to the Dexworld.org forums. We like new folks around here, so since you're not registered yet, why donít you drop us a little note so we can get to know you?

We will be more than happy to show you more of our tight little community once we know who you are.

Go Back   Dexworld.org > General > Grown-up talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2015, 10:52 PM   #1
[AOS] Somerlot
The Duke of Stan

Send a message via MSN to [AOS] Somerlot
Default CSPAN about SSA Payment Discrep.

Sorry this is long but a good read. Huge amounts of tax dollars erroneously spent by this.

I watch CSPAN sometimes. Was watching them talk about how people manage to fraudulently use a dead persons SSN to get any kind of gov benefit, open bank accounts, etc.

Interesting one to watch. I found it funny though that there is actually no true and managed system of tracking death records.

The Social Security Admin gets reports from either only 37 state's HHS rep or from local agencies/families. They either get it electronically or via mail.

If that person was receiving SSA benefits the SSA verifies the death by calling the family or other means and is put on a master death record. If the person is not getting benefits the SSA puts them on the master death record but doesn't verify the death at all.

Impact?

The SSA sells this file to the Department of Commerce who sells the file to other organizations. (Banks, Medicare, Medicade, etc) Thousands each year find out they are "dead" from trying to open a bank accounts or a cc. Even the big case of a Marine who lost his medical benefits and had his bank accounts closed from this.

The SSA updates their list weekly but its up to the orginization to pull the new list.

I thought it was funny how huge tax dollars of improper payments throughout government benefits all because we lack a good system of tracking dead people.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:19 PM   #2
Mr Nice Guy
Hi! I'm an asshole!

It kinda seems like if you aren't using the healthcare system to stay alive until your last day they don't have a reason to keep track of you. Anyone who sees it as inaffordable or unreliable would have a huge gap between documented visits and eventually their time of death to begin with.
Mr Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:00 AM   #3
[AOS] Somerlot
The Duke of Stan

Send a message via MSN to [AOS] Somerlot
Default Re: CSPAN about SSA Payment Discrep.

Thats what I got from it too. Normally i zone out with cspan, good to make me sleepy at night. Was funny.

But good to know in case someone tells you, your dead lol.

Sent from my XT1254 Using ForumTouch for Android
[AOS] Somerlot is offline   Reply With Quote