Dexworld.org

Well itís finally good to see you!

Welcome to the Dexworld.org forums. We like new folks around here, so since you're not registered yet, why donít you drop us a little note so we can get to know you?

We will be more than happy to show you more of our tight little community once we know who you are.

Go Back   Dexworld.org > General > Tech Support
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
Bait
‹ber

Default fresh format(or dell's version of it)

something was eating up my boot time(10->15->20min)
so i needed a fresh install...what a nice wonder it is to start fresh
and actually try to do something.

So to those of you know this stuff(rocket? fluid Somerlot. fysixs?)
mm what do you recommend (ie top10-20 musthave software)

SPECS: vista ?32-bit?, 2Gbram, Nvidia 9600M

...what i've done so far.

[1] i've tried to delete the bulk of Dell's bloatware and decrapify shit (ah its nice to expand your vocab)...and stupid notron

[2] ...do i even need delldatasafe?
--------
system stuff
[3] i like the cmd prompt registry hack (as a coder)
[4] expanded my pagefile to 4G(only 2 G ram)...do i need a larger pagefile?

[4a] are there any recommended windows services/processes to disable (ie modem shit...damn dell installed software for dialup)

the computer isn't used as a server/host ('cept localhost for php/sql), don't plan on having multi-users(can i disable UAC)

--------
[5] internet:
firefox, chrome ,flashplayer (future: skype, vent, mumble, googletalk,
vpn...ah crap i think i need that one now)

[6] security:
avg , ccleaner, malwarebytes, hijackthis (spybot and adaware as backups...disabled till i maintain shit)...Is DBAN worth a look at?

-------
[7] media: vlc over divx, ac3filter(i think i need for wmp) , winamp

[8] academics/text:: notepad++, latex/miktex/lyx , dia

[9] coding/webstuff
cygwin, cmake , mysql/php/phpmyadmin/apache , microsoft 20## C++ , lua, python matlab

[10] gaming:: steam/dod (do i need gamebooster...all i play now is dod...i lost my '09 nhl season boo...eveyrthing should be made for dropNdrag)

[11] do i need trusteer-rapport for banking?

Last edited by Bait; 10-03-2013 at 03:07 PM..
Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
Fysiks
‹ber

I use Notepad++ for all my coding and web scripting.
I don't think you can disable UAC. Google will tell you.
Browser is up to you. I have the three big ones but I use Firefox. Chrome for stuff that doesn't work on Firefox and lastly IE for MS dependent crap.
Fysiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
Bait
‹ber

u can disable UAC...just don't know if its wise...but i'm the only user .

with your scxripting stuff do u install this (if u use mysql) or do u do each individual one

http://www.wampserver.com/en/

the pkg requires VC++2010
Old 10-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Bait
‹ber

a crap so i installed a bunch of windows updates...
69 recommended and i'm pretty sure at least 20 important ones

now i get a sp1 update htat says its an accumulation of all previous update prior to 2009....but i've done some updates past that time....and many prior...so do i need thi supdate? OR did windows update fuck me up by now installing in sequential time order
Old 10-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
Fysiks
‹ber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait View Post
with your scxripting stuff do u install this (if u use mysql) or do u do each individual one

http://www.wampserver.com/en/

the pkg requires VC++2010
I don't host servers on Windows if I can avoid it. I normally have a Linux box for that. Then, I install them individually but they do have LAMP (the equivalent for WAMP but for Linux).
Fysiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
Bait
‹ber

you don't work locally or is your local box linux? Yah wamp/xamp seem bloated for my use
i just want apache/sql/php/phpmyadmin....went off on a bad start cuz i like installers/binaries... and i dl'd apache 2.2 but php 5.5 doesn't have installer for 2.2 =[...
sigh back to the drawing board....

also sp1 failed to install for me and it went into a cyclic update (install.not installed. install not-installed). The final solution was to manual update...500mb! and not recommended for single computer use =[
Old 10-05-2013, 01:49 AM   #7
[AOS] Somerlot
The Duke of Stan

Send a message via MSN to [AOS] Somerlot

One thing I've picked up recently is "Handbrake" which is a nice open source utility that will let you convert video files to various formats with a lot of advanced options (if you choose to use advanced options). Im sure there a million out there but this was recommended to me by someone out here.

Ive disabled UAC in everything since Vista came out. It annoys the FUCK out of me. But this depends on how exposed you can operate at. I run windows defender with UAC off, but I don't hardly download or look at dangerous shit anymore.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
Bait
‹ber

yah i was annoyed by UAC but it has its uses sometimes (or maybe rarely) ...my biggest beef is that its a single-user PC...and i'm trying to mod the startmenu and now that i've found the vista startmenu (not just the classic folder)...any time i make a change UAC takes action cuz its a change made for all users.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
[AOS] Somerlot
The Duke of Stan

Send a message via MSN to [AOS] Somerlot

Yeah. One thing that is a huge issue when it comes to UAC in Windows 8 is that a lot of the Windows 8 programs will not run with UAC disabled. Granted, you always can download programs that are better but I don't know how much stops running when you disable it.

To effectively disable UAC in Windows 8 you have to do it in the registry. Using that slider doesn't actually turn off the service.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
[b7]fluid
‹ber

I'd suggest getting Windows 8 and then 8.1 when it's matured. For now stick with Win8 cause it has a number of features that make it better than Win7.

-It optimizes for SSD's and has better trim features
-It generally boots faster
-it is more secure

Boot time lengths are not what I would usually do a fresh install for. I'd suggest doing fresh install just to change from older OS's to newer ones.

I can't think of the program off the top of my head, but there's one that copies all the current drivers that you have and allows you to use them for the fresh install. That way you don't have to search for the downloads yourself which could take a while. This of course only works if you are doing a fresh install of your current OS. Doesn't work if you go from xp to win8 for example.

I didn't know about the registry hack to turn off UAC. I should do that. I usually just move the slider all the way down. But it would be better just to turn off the service itself. duh, i feel dumb!

You don't need a big pagefile, especially if you've got only 2gb of ram. Honestly, get a new MB with lots of newer ram. You can do a new cpu, mb and 8gb of ram for it for under $400.

Mozilla is the best and most "private". Get disconnect and adblock extensions as well as httpeverywhere. Stupid NSA!

VLC is all you'll ever need.

Foobar2000 for audio with wasapi component for direct bit for bit kernel streaming.

Malwarebytes and avast for malware and antivirus.

CCleaner is good and so is syncback free

Check out this site for best free software:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/

I'll get back with more later. Gots to do homework!
[b7]fluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:13 PM   #11
industrial windmill

Is this common with Dells (or any big box manufacturer)? I was thinking of replacing my long dead lappy with an XPS, but $$$$$...

Nevar again HP!
industrial windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:24 AM   #12
Rabid Wookie
ooo Touch my Traa Laaa La! My Ding Ding Dong!

Dude, do you even look at the dates on the threads?