Dexworld.org

Well itís finally good to see you!

Welcome to the Dexworld.org forums. We like new folks around here, so since you're not registered yet, why donít you drop us a little note so we can get to know you?

We will be more than happy to show you more of our tight little community once we know who you are.

Go Back   Dexworld.org > Game Forums > Day Of Defeat Discussion
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
Very small rocks!

Default A Guide to the Finer Points of Day of Defeat- Tips and Settings advice

The information here is no secret, but I see so many players making avoidable mistakes or not knowing things could help them, that I wanted to share some of the knowledge I have gained over the years. Hopefully everyone can find something here they didn't know. Please add anything you have found that works, including other play styles, or feel free to challenge anything. Things change; I might be mistaken.

Please forgive the ramblingness. It kind of got away from me.

I make no warranty or guarantee on the factuality or efficacy of anything contained in this guide. Some of the trix and settings in this guide can DAMAGE YOUR SYSTEM, YOUR EXPERIENCE OF THE GAME, OR YOUR EGO. If you have doubts about any of the settings, don't mess with them. If you are unsure of any of the stunts, do not try them without a helmet. If you have moral reservations about anything, do not use it and pray for those of us that do. CONTINUE AT YOUR OWN PERIL!!! (just a little peril)

SPEED

Speed is key in this game. Being where the enemy doesn't even think you can get to in X time is a great way to confuse the enemy and score a lot of kills. As such, it is important to maximize your speed whenever possible.

Sprinting makes you run faster, but it decreases your stamina, which makes you run slower. Overall on level terrain, the effects cancel each other out. This is not true however on non-level terrain. You can run faster in dod, but you have to use your sprint in the right places to do so. Sprint off the top of anything like a ledge or little hill or anywhere there is the possibility of a slight drop and as you land duck and stand right back up. This will cause you to skip ahead a little faster because you are moving while ducking and regaining your stamina at the maximum speed.

Bunny-hopping: Bhopping has been largely eliminated in dod (idiot dev team!) but there are a few places where it works and makes sense. Generally long downward inclines offer the opportunity to gain a huge speed advantage if you can get the timing right. On Avalanche, if you are Axis, you can bunny-hop down the whole map. The first ramp out of spawn heading to the arch can be traversed twice as fast by two well timed hops as someone sprinting it all the way down. This allows you to place a nade on the large group of allies at the apartment entrance before they can get safely inside.

Inclines: dod's physics are not true to life. This can be exploited to advantage in many ways if you know how things work. One of the defects in the physics is that forward speed remains constant regardless of incline. This means you run uphill and downhill faster than you would expect. It is really all the same speed, but it appears faster the steeper the incline. It can help you dodge bullets if you know which way to run because overall you are traversing the hypotenuse of the triangle in the same amount of time it takes to traverse the horizontal leg.

Start of rounds: Ever hear anyone call you a "fatass" in-game? It's because you are in front of them and running slower than possible, and they know getting to point X to get the jump on the approaching enemy is crucial, but they won't be able to do it running behind you. How the start of a round goes often leads directly to how the entire map will play out. Getting the entire team out and in position is critical, and getting them further than expected is bonus. If you spawn in the first positions of any map and you don't plan on getting anywhere too fast consider getting out of the way.

Sprinting just to get in front of your teammates, to say, get a flag is retarded and slows everyone down. Fuck your stats!

NADES

Throwing a nade makes you vulnerable to immediate attack. The sound of you tossing it and picking it back up is unmistakable and loud. If you come upon me at a corner, we both miss and retreat, and then you prime a nade, I am going to come around the corner and blast you faster than you can get rid of it, and often even have time to pick it up and throw it on your teammates. This is the worst situation you can possible use a hand grenade.

Unprimed nades: Mostly they are a total waste of time. Of all of the thousands of unprimed nades I've left laying around, I get kills on less than 5% of them. While tossing the nades you are vulnerable. The nades are easy to spot and people run the other way. The nades are easy to hear, so again people just run away or wait for them to go off. Really the only players that get killed by them are NOT the ones murdering your team. I also see many players throwing all of their nades at round start. I plan for it and I'm sure others do as well.

That said there are a couple of uses. Defending your back. When evacuating an area or running from someone who is about 5 seconds behind you. Decoy. Just to make me sprint around the corner to find you holding a gun. Ouchies...

Throwing nades whether primed or not gives away your position. For the most part hand grenades are not worth the trouble. I probably use them on less than 20% of my lives though it does depend on the map. I usually just run straight ahead, shoot some guys, and let my team nade me.

SHAKE N BAKE

Learn to sprint jump, period. I have sprint bound to mouse2. It will get you out of dying quite frequently as well as allow you to access areas not accessible to shorter jumps. It is also quite useful in popping corners. I almost never hit jump unless I'm sprinting.

When in a face to face fire fight, do not stand still. I've been asked if I am and flat out accused of wearing armor. No I just move away from the bullets. dod seems to favor moving targets as opposed to still targets... ...and not for obvious reasons.

Proning to dodge will get you dead ASAP, so use it only as a last resort. Ducking to doge may work on occasion, but it actually exposes more of your hitboxes than standing or proning. Jumping to dodge is more useful against automatic weapons.

Two out of the three leave you without a gun for too long. Use accordingly, and try to vary it. People will learn your habits.

It is key to vary your movements in face to face firefights. This way the game server knows as little as possible about your true location and must rely on it's player prediction algorithm. The game will ultimately side with actual location in hindsight giving you some milliseconds of trigger advantage.

Other players rarely expect you to run out of high windows. Other players rarely expect you to run out of high windows and go back in the door, up the stairs, while they so carefully crouch-walk into the room where you aren't anymore because you're stabbing them in the back. H4X! Bad players rarely expect you to keep coming at them with a knife. Good aggressive play with high emphasis on thinking in 3D will net you more kills per minute than sitting around. Higher KPM helps your team, K/D is a MEANINGLESS stat. Look at it this way, if you run around and get 100 kills in an hour but you had 40 deaths, you helped your team way more than the guy sniping from the back who is 25-2 in the same amount of time.

I can not over-emphasize thinking in 3D. The best places to score massive kill streaks are where you can get to the top of something enclosed and where you can jump out the window and immediately go back in and go up again. The more levels a structure like this has, the more filthy places you can surprise people from.

Don't wait in obvious places like exactly in the corner. I like the middle of the hallway. Someone coming around the corner expects players to be on one wall or another. They often come firing pre-aimed to those locations.

When fighting from close cover, try and burst fire more. When firing from long cover, empty your clip. Aggressive players will come back out faster and just get caught in your stream of fire. If you know you're facing a "safer" player, charge his ass! If facing a crack shot your best bet is to be moving while he's firing and firing while he's standing still. I'll let you work out the details of that. That's getting into psychology. Most players however do play it safer when they know you know they are there, so again, aggressive play is rewarded.

Jumping from high places can be accomplished with little or no loss of health if you hit a steep incline at the bottom of the jump. Rubble piles are frequent places I jump on to, but the tiniest sliver of steeply inclined wall or object will do the trick. You can also jump from high into almost any water and reduce the damage you would normally take by pressing jump at the same time you hit the water. It's a bug they never fixed.

When two opposing players are coming together the LOWER player will be able to see the higher player first. i.e. you are sitting in a high window (I don't know what it was smoking) and an enemy is walking backwards facing the window you are in. At some point he will reach a spot where if he stops he can see the top of your head but you can not see him at all. i.e.i.e. it is to your advantage to be lower. The only advantage to higher ground is the ability to move completely out of sight, but most of the time the instant you come back to the window or the edge of the hill you're dead.

continued...

Last edited by Very small rocks!; 06-09-2011 at 11:11 PM..
Very small rocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
Very small rocks!

BUMP AND GRIND

Bumping your teammates causes them to miss, miss throw, and be unable to dodge. You should never be within 10 feet (approximate optical) of any teammate when danger is afoot (which is generally always). If you see a teamate with a nade, stay away from him. Bumping him while he throws it could be the difference between 8 enemy deaths and 8 TKs.

You should never run inline with any team member. I live to mow down lineups in this game. The thing is that there is a straight line between any two players, how do you know which line to be on and which not to be on? Simple, don't line up on ANY line of fire. If your coming around a corner, this means there almost is no safe line, so stay back and space out so players aren't turning the corners in big rows. You should never ever ever ever ever form a group; you're just a screenshot waiting to happen. There is another funny bug in dod which is somewhat related to this, if you are in a line up you are better off being the front guy. For some reason dod seems to choose to have the bullet hit the guy in the back of the line if it's going to hit anyone at all. I've shot thousands of guys unintentionally just because the guy I was shooting at ran in front of someone else. Again, dod favoring aggression over camping.

TEAM FIRE WORKS

Don't get too close to your teammates doesn't mean don't cover them. dod works best with pairs of players who trust each other to be in the right place and looking the right direction. Generally this is well spaced, with each player looking about 45 degrees back at the other player. This gives two players a huge field of view, crossfire, and each has the other's back. Not many opportnities for this type of play on a pub, but it can still be done to devastating effect if a couple guys are used to each other or communicate well.

If you come across a teammate camping a cutoff or distraction behind enemy lines, leave immediately. Put yourself in a poition to help him rather than getting close to him and getting both of you killed. The camping player probably already has the flow of enemies all cinched up, so you being there making noise can only lead to doom. There is also an element where one camper can be such a distraction to the other team that you can cap out easily while they fuck around hunting him down, or get totally cut off by him.

CAMPING VS. NOT PLAYING DOD LIKE A FAIRY

It's a game. You are going to die. Luckily the game characters haves Jesus-like abilities. Generally camping is a poor strategy. You must advance to capture flags. You are easier to kill sitting still. You are very easy to kill while prone. Odds are a sprinting enemy is going to get to that flag before you can gun him down.

Like all quake-engine games and most FPS games, the game engine favors movement. The largest reason is the net code. The net code for dod uses a client prediction algorithm to determine your location to display to other players. There is about a 80-300ms difference between where you actually are and where the game thinks you are (double your ping plus double the other guy's ping). Erratic movement causes the game to lose you and the rest of the net code compensates for this by awarding the fastest reasonably accurate player to shoot with the kill. This is why people using strafe scripts are so hard to hit. Make your fingers your strafe script. This also favors players with maxed out connection parameters (cl_clupdaterate 100, cl_cmdrate 100, Rate 20000). Players with the default rate settings may be harder to hit (if they're moving), but it also make it harder for them to hit anyone, moving or not. I will emphasize this point once more, the default rate settings for dod, an 11 year old game, were for a time when most players used dialup internet. That was 48kbps (8kbps overhead) max. If your connection is better than 200kps you should be using the max rates. Anyone on cable or DSL should be using max rates, regardless of ping or choke. The only reason not to use max rates is if you experience packet LOSS. Choke is irrelevant. Choke is you sending more information to the game server than the server can handle, and has no effect on your game. Setting these higher than default is not cheating in any way. I would find NOT setting them to max for most players to be more akin to cheating. Willfully setting your cl_updaterate low for no other reason than to be hard to hit is dishonest to me.

Now a couple of proners on your team is good, so long as they move up as the flow of battle dictates. They can get the straggler, or infiltrator when he expects to be alone. Having numerous guys camping your first while your team is up to their second isn't helping your team. Having a team of guys who would rather sit in windows and dark corners will cause you to lose. Most of the team should be on the move at all times.

COM UN C T N (it's not always the same)

Most of the time calling out enemies is counterproductive. Players with headphones and EAX sound cards can tell EXACTLY where an enemy is by any sound they make. Even non-EAX sound is good enough to know where things are by sound. Having to listen to someone call out their obvious position interferes with hearing them move. Calling out across the map MG and sniper positions in detail is helpful. Asking a teammate for help to cap when you are already in the flag cap zone and the light is lit up is too late. Your team should be paying attention to flag lightups and just come, but you should really plan in advance. Squawking about help when you need it is going to get you killed from not paying attention to the grenadier who is paying more attention to the flag lightups than your team. Better to run ahead and cut off for those that follow you. Most of the time we're listening to whatever Astronomy or demontacoslayer are babbling about anyway, so this is irrelevant, and the conversation is more fun anyway, but when you're all trypants it's the best policy.

While were on it, blindly running to double caps and complaining at your teammates running past you is silly. This game is about capping flags, but capping flags is much easier when there is no one shooting at you. Most middle double caps should not even be attempted until someone(s) is at the next flag. Team play is more complex than you are accounting for. Some players also simply prefer to kill. Rather than yell at them, use them to your team's advantage. Let them go up an kill while you get easy caps. The worst guys at killing should hone themselves into the best cappers, and sometimes the best killers should not be bothering with two man caps, in the interests of the team.

ETC.

Sound: EAX soundcards are the only way to get the soundfield you are supposed to have in this game. With them you can tell the exact position of anything making a noise you can hear in the game. Most motherboard built-in soundcards are not EAX. In fact I don't know of any. I don't think Creative licensed the tech to mobo manufacturers. Quake and by proxy half-life were designed for EAX soundcards. All other sound solutions are plain fucked. Reflection and occlusion in the Intel and Realtek audio drivers is broken and unfixable. You may get used to it well enough, but no other soundcard reproduces the sound the way the game intends it to sound. If you are stuck with another audio chipset I recommend turning off any surround sound. dod is in stereo only anyway. If you do have an EAX card, I still recommend turning off any surround mode AND disabling all EAX sound effects.

The cheapest headphones are better than the most expensive stereo systems. If you use speakers a pair of headphones will provide you with an immediate skill increase. More than the rest of the tips in this impromptu guide combined!

Know your sounds!!!

Bind a key to "stopsound" and get used to using it. It can drastically help you kill sounds that get in the way of hearing enemies. It works by instantaneously stopping all playing sounds. Sound that continue to play in game will come back on after a very brief delay, but all sounds that have started a play one cycle will cease, including atmospheric sounds like constant mortars in the background. It's essential when people are talking and your trying to hear the enemy.

continued...
Old 06-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
Very small rocks!

Launch options: Go to your Steam Library and right-click on Day of Defeat. Choose Options. This will bring up the options dialog box for dod. On the General tab there is a button called SET LAUNCH OPTIONS... Click it. It will bring up a box with a blank command line (if you're a nub ). Mine looks like this: -32bpp -noforcemaccel -noforcemspd -noforcemparms -w 1024 -h 768 -freq 100 -full -gl -noipx -nojoy -console -novid.

The launch options can be entered into the regular in-game console, but these can not be entered into the .cfg files, so to repeatedly use them, the only practical way is to set them here. Now I'll explain what those mean.

Each launch option is preceded by "-" (a minus sign). There should be a space in between each option. One syntax error in this section will cause it to be entirely ignored by the game.

32bpp means that my game will launch in 32 bit color mode. bpp stands for bits per pixel. Other options are 16bpp and 8bpp (not sure if it allows 8bpp or 4bpp any longer).

noforcemaccel will turn off Windows mouse acceleration which is detrimental to aiming.

noforcemspd will cause dod to ignore Windows mouse pointer speed.

noforcemparms will turn off Windows "Enhance pointer precision" which again is detrimental to aiming.

None of the three mouse commands will affect mice with installed drivers like Razors, but should still be used to take Windows out of the equation. Adding these will probably make adjustments to "sensitivity" in the config files necessary, and it may take some getting used to.

w means pixel width of the screen. I play in 1024x768 mode.

h means pixel height of the screen.

Valid options are 1600 1280 1200 1024 768 800 640 600 and 480. I am not sure if this supports wide aspect modes like 1620 x 1080. Going outside the supported geometry of your monitor COULD damage it, but I doubt it. I think either the game will ignore it and go to default mode, or you will get a blank screen and have to quit dod.

freq means monitor refresh rate. THIS COMMAND CAN FUCK UP YOUR MONITOR AND VIDEO CARD. USE WITH CAUTION!!! If you use an LCD monitor, again my sympathies, but most of them have a maximum refresh rate of 60Hz. There are some 120Hz and 240Hz models out now, but they are still rare. Even if you have a CRT, you can still set this too high. If in doubt leave it out. I just choose to let dod tell my video subsystem what to do directly, but this can be set from your video drivers.

full means fullscreen.

gl means OpenGL renderer mode. Software mode and DirectX mode suck for dod, period.

noipx turns off all IPX network support. You are not on an IPX network, why have the game load crap and run crap it doesn't need to. Get some extra FPS by turning this off.

nojoy turns off all joystick/gamepad support. Again why have it running your CPU down if you are not using it. If you do use a gamepad, my sympathies.

There are more commands, most of which you will find do not apply. You can get more info at www.google.com

Gamma: I play dod with my gamma jacked. If you ever wondered how someone could scope so fast on the sniper, try it. It's completely fair. Everyone has different video cards and monitors and even more different drivers. They all handle the lighting in dod differently and have different default brightnesses and video modes and switchable modes. On top of that the brightness slider in half-life is completely broken. There is no "default" brightness for dod, so why not make it easier on your eyes? The settings are usually in your video drivers, but you can use third-party programs like Powerstrip if you like or need to. Just be careful, you can damage your monitor, especially LCD monitors.

For fun I have included my userconfig.cfg so you can see exactly how my game is set up and yours should be (except for my crazy binds). userconfig.cfg is not the default configuration file. To use userconfig.cfg or xxx.cfg, you must add a line to config.cfg "exec userconfig.cfg" If you do not have a userconfig.cfg you can create it by opening config.cfg and doing a File/Save As. Now you can mess with stuff in here while having a copy of the default config safe and sound. dod only uses the last "exec"ed config file. Generally "1" means on/enabled "0" means off/diabled, but many of the commands require other numerical values or keyword values. I don't think dod config files use any bitmapped variables though. I highlighted the important config options in red.

// This file is overwritten whenever you change your user settings in the game.
// Add custom configurations to the file "userconfig.cfg".

unbindall
bind "TAB" "+showscores"
bind "ESCAPE" "cancelselect"
bind "SPACE" "+jump"
bind "0" "slot10"
bind "1" "slot1"
bind "2" "slot2"
bind "3" "slot3"
bind "4" "slot4"
bind "5" "slot5"
bind "6" "slot6"
bind "7" "slot7"
bind "8" "slot8"
bind "9" "slot9"
bind ";" "dropobject"
bind "`" "toggleconsole"
bind "a" "voice_menu2"
bind "c" "changeteam"
bind "d" "+duck"
bind "g" "+back"
bind "j" "+use"
bind "k" "drop"
bind "l" "dropammo"
bind "n" "stopsound"
bind "o" "messagemode"
bind "p" "messagemode2"
bind "q" "voice_menu1"
bind "r" "+moveleft"
bind "s" "prone"
bind "t" "+forward"
bind "u" "+reload"
bind "x" "changeclass"
bind "y" "+moveright"
bind "z" "voice_menu3"
bind "~" "toggleconsole"
bind "F5" "snapshot"
bind "CAPSLOCK" "+voicerecord"
bind "MWHEELDOWN" "invnext"
bind "MWHEELUP" "lastinv"
bind "MOUSE1" "+attack"
bind "MOUSE2" "+speed"
bind "MOUSE3" "+attack2"
_ah "0" <---------- turns off Autohelp i.e. the dod dog
_cl_minimap "2"
_cl_minimapzoom "1"
_snd_mixahead "0.1"
ati_npatch "1.0"
ati_subdiv "2.0"
bgmvolume "1.000000"
bottomcolor "6"
brightness "1.000000"
cl_allowdownload "1"
cl_allowupload "1"
cl_autoreload "0"
cl_backspeed "400"
cl_bulletejects "1"
cl_cmdbackup "2"
cl_cmdrate "100" <---------- data rate TO the server
cl_corpsestay "10"
cl_cutscenes "1"
cl_dlmax "128"
cl_dmshowflags "1"
cl_dmshowgrenades "1"
cl_dmshowmarkers "1"
cl_dmshowobjects "1"
cl_dmshowplayers "1"
cl_dmsmallmap "1"
cl_download_ingame "1"
cl_drawmodels "1"
cl_drawplayermodels "1"
cl_dynamic_xhair "0" <---------- Cuz fuck that!
cl_dynamiclights "1"
cl_fog "0" <---------- Some people like it, some don't. There is really no framerate hit for enabling this.
cl_fog_blue "192"
cl_fog_density "0.0"
cl_fog_end "3500.0"
cl_fog_green "192"
cl_fog_red "192"
cl_fog_start "10.0"
cl_forwardspeed "400"
cl_himodels "0" <------ Freamerate hit.
cl_hud_ammo "1"
cl_hud_health "1"
cl_hud_msgs "2"
cl_hud_objectives "1"
cl_hud_objtimer "1"
cl_hud_reinforcements "1"
cl_hudfont "1"
cl_idealpitchscale "0.8"
cl_identiconmode "2"
cl_lc "1"
cl_logocolor "#Valve_Orange"
cl_logofile "lambda"
cl_lw "1"
cl_numshotrubble "5"
cl_particlefx "0" <---------- You COULD get a SERIOUS framerate reduction by setting this to something other than 0.
You WILL get a visual impairment. Valid values are 3 2 1 or 0.

cl_timeout "60"
cl_updaterate "100" <---------- data rate FROM the server
cl_vsmoothing "0.05"
cl_weatherdis "1700"
cl_xhair_style "0"
con_color "255 155 50"
console "1"
crosshair "0"
dodcredits "0"
fps_max "100.0"
fps_modem "0.0"
gamma "2.660000" <---------- Irrelevant
gl_dither "1"
gl_flipmatrix "0"
gl_fog "0"
gl_monolights "0"
gl_overbright "0"
gl_polyoffset "4"
hisound "1"
hpk_maxsize "0"
hud_capturemouse "1"
hud_centerid "1"
hud_draw "1"
hud_fastswitch "1"
hud_takesshots "0"
joystick "0" <---------- Does not do the same thing as -nojoy, but is irrelevant if -nojoy is used
lookspring "0.000000"
lookstrafe "0.000000"
m_filter "0"
m_forward "1" <----------
m_pitch "0.022000" <----------
m_side "0.8" <----------
m_yaw "0.022"<---------- Adjusting these was considered cheating in leagues.
I don't know if they work any longer. I think even if they do they can be enforced at the server level.

model "gordon"
MP3FadeTime "2.0"
MP3Volume "0.600000"
mp_decals "300.000000"
name "Very small rocks!"
net_graph "3"
net_graphpos "1"
net_scale "5"

r_bmodelhighfrac "5.0"
r_detailtextures "0" <---------- You WILL get a SERIOUS frame rate reduction by enabling this no matter what video card you have.
rate 20000 <---------- This is the maximum valid value. Higher values = 20000.
Most everyone should have this set to 20000 The exception would be the HPB, in which case I think you should play in Brazil.

s_a3d "0.0"
s_automax_distance "30.0"
s_automin_distance "2.0"
s_bloat "2.0"
s_distance "60"
s_doppler "0.0"
s_eax "0.0" <---------- I have an EAX sound card. This is correct no matter what card.
s_leafnum "0"
s_max_distance "1000.0"
s_min_distance "8.0"
s_numpolys "200"
s_polykeep "1000000000"
s_polysize "10000000"
s_refdelay "4"
s_refgain "0.4"
s_rolloff "1.0"
s_verbwet "0.25"
sensitivity "3"
skin ""
suitvolume "0.250000"
sv_aim "1"
sv_voiceenable "1"
team ""
topcolor "30"
viewsize "120.000000"
voice_enable "1"
voice_forcemicrecord "1"
voice_modenable "1"
voice_scale "1"
volume "0.200000"
+mlook

After you get your config file set up how you want I recommend setting the Windows file properties to Read Only and keeping a copy of it around. Angry admins can ruin your day at the press of a buton.

Good hunting.

Last edited by Very small rocks!; 06-09-2011 at 10:59 PM..
Very small rocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:12 AM   #4
Crude
‹ber

Send a message via Yahoo to Crude

HACKER... PROOF,, LOL just kiddin..

Enjoy,
Peace!
Thomas'73
Ntlgnce@Work.here
Crude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
Bait
‹ber

sweet someone else who professes K/M over K/D. Sitting in a sniper loft covering mid on sherman ain't gonna help ur team push especially when their trying to make a comeback win. Dying a little more will help ur team push.

can't believe i read all that shit...or rather you wrote all that (on 10 yr old game)...sounds like u are a game dev'r

what does -novid do? And hunting_b3/isernia rules!

-----------------------------
other tips

button smashing / twitchers [general motion]: learn to press buttons fast and have the right timing. This particularly effects motion behaviours, like when using the mg and meleeing. It'll give the event Queue more information to process at a time.

I had a buddy caretaker from my Eagle days who often got called for twitching on public servers.....and he got banned a few times...its not cuz he's scripting its cuz he actually has fast fingers and its perfectly timed, he's always moving...I don't have the attention span to keep strafing the way he did.

pickup a dead mans gun rather than reload its faster and allows u to stay in the action longer. I can barely remember to do it but for fast intense maps or when u see clustesr of people its an advantage unless of course u pick up an empty clip.

learn to use multiple guns: diff map sections require diff styles of play. I once saw Caretaker mow down 8-12 guys over a short period of time (on a pub) without dying cuz he would pick up whatever guns he could find. He'd kill 2-3 then pick up another gun. I have never seen anyone do this as fast as he has on pubs. It was a beauty to watch. it was something like smg to carbine to heavy to rifle. Think he even added couple of noscopes.

Playing on gungame servers is fun to learn multiple guns or as other players have on dexworld play random (i can't stand the rocket so don't play on random anymore).

regarding flags:

Defending the last flag: I have seen this time and time again...
Someone camps the last flag facing the flag...not looking at a choke point or rather not even covering a choke point. Any flag capper can just run by and capout.

superman dive, sprint jump dive: capping the last flag. Realistically this is like body rolling or even trying a real superman dive.

multiple player flag caps: rocks already posted this somewhat...but for N-player flag, u only need like N+1 or 2 players to cap it...everyone else should be rushing to block the incoming nades or players. Especially on the sherman, clervaux 2-caps and any 3-man flags.

ninjaing or pitching a tent: especially on dexworld's people try to play the team game...so capping a 1-point flag is useless unless u can hold it or its for a full cap or defensive stop. If ur on teh offensive side either ninja(hide) in a spot or just mow down the incoming enemy. Helping ur team kill a (spanw)wave allows them time to cap doubles or push up. Only effective if the team is actually trying to do teamwork.

Capping an offensive 1-point flag is like holding a "i am here sign".
don't run away rom a nade if its primed chances are u'll get dmg'd anyways...if its not toss it back.

shooting through walls: this is WWII not MW. its not as tactically...randomly shooting through walls can help on certain maps
especially the sherman sniper nests and tiger. Helps especially if you saw muzzle flashes

muzzle flash watching or deadman watching
Tells u where the enemy was. Especially on a pub...the minimap is can be ur friend.

peeking some peopel like to peek before shooting. So if ur on higher ground its prolly best to peek at teh action and run back and turtle than stand on the ledge and aim.

mg rambo/cover fire mg is easier to control with a higher sensitivity.
but ramboing itself is an art (u can either aim up to down or down to up) One of them has a better % of killing. Crouching ramboing is more effective but with the dexworld antirambo plugin =[, one needs more practice to see how the plugin works. BTW we should get the alien(oncrack) view mod ...that thing is wicked.

Also the mg is primarily used for cover fire ...not to sit there and look pretty...so one should be burst firing periodically and at random intervals...especially through walls. Also helps if ur looking at the minimap

MOTION TIPS
Timing Melee(rifle or smg punch): its the same timing mentality as strafing (peek) shot and the zooka reload. Except it involves sprinting and timing the hit as u come out of the sprint animation (and there are sprint animation lags/glitches in this game).

Zooka reload and shoot: i have never been able to master this stupid weapon nor will i but other people prolly can give tips.

prone strafe: proning rules...and if u can get away with it prone strafe while atempting a reload its like worming your body. Effective most of the time especially against autos, and if u know ur team is coming up right behind.

falling or jump landing: don't know why dod disables jump shooting but i guess its cuz its WWII. If ur going to jump and fall...its better to fall so ur gun stays out and u can randomly pray for hits...with enough practice you increase ur percentage of killing just like noscoping or ramboing.

If u plan to jump over something and u hear the enemy its best to clip the obstacle ur jumping over so your gun comes out.

In a map like crazyjump just fall rather than jump (makes for some fun melee air battles)

Last edited by Bait; 06-10-2011 at 09:03 AM..
Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
buhbuhray
a.k.a. Blueberry

Send a message via AIM to buhbuhray

practice double jumps
practice sprint stops
practice sprint stop shoot/melee's
practice falling melees/shooting
practice aiming at small targets from long distances
if shot from behind immediately notify your team and go find the bastard.
always alert team to snipers and mg locations
Playing day of defeat is like being on a vacation to some wind swept tropical island where topless native women serve up pina coladas and fancy bottled beer to meet my every need as I sit on top of a tiger tank and they smile knowingly at me as I mg 42 the whole opposing team coming out of spawn !
YES !
buhbuhray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
Bait
‹ber

oh and on pubs....only 2-3 people need to hunt a man trapped behind enemy lines...not the whole team.

and falling melees are awesome

and for laptops never play with the laptop keyboard...always get an external keyboard one preferably withe the A/D aligned so u can press them fast and thats comfortable for your wrist
Old 06-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #8
Very small rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait
sweet someone else who professes K/M over K/D. Sitting in a sniper loft covering mid on sherman ain't gonna help ur team push especially when their trying to make a comeback win. Dying a little more will help ur team push.

can't believe i read all that shit...or rather you wrote all that (on 10 yr old game)...sounds like u are a game dev'r

what does -novid do? And hunting_b3/isernia rules!

other tips

button smashing / twitchers [general motion]: learn to press buttons fast and have the right timing. This particularly effects motion behaviours, like when using the mg and meleeing. It'll give the event Queue more information to process at a time.

I had a buddy caretaker from my Eagle days who often got called for twitching on public servers.....and he got banned a few times...its not cuz he's scripting its cuz he actually has fast fingers and its perfectly timed, he's always moving...I don't have the attention span to keep strafing the way he did.

pickup a dead mans gun rather than reload its faster and allows u to stay in the action longer. I can barely remember to do it but for fast intense maps or when u see clustesr of people its an advantage unless of course u pick up an empty clip.

learn to use multiple guns: diff map sections require diff styles of play. I once saw Caretaker mow down 8-12 guys over a short period of time (on a pub) without dying cuz he would pick up whatever guns he could find. He'd kill 2-3 then pick up another gun. I have never seen anyone do this as fast as he has on pubs. It was a beauty to watch. it was something like smg to carbine to heavy to rifle. Think he even added couple of noscopes.

Playing on gungame servers is fun to learn multiple guns or as other players have on dexworld play random (i can't stand the rocket so don't play on random anymore).

regarding flags:

Defending the last flag: I have seen this time and time again...
Someone camps the last flag facing the flag...not looking at a choke point or rather not even covering a choke point. Any flag capper can just run by and capout.

superman dive, sprint jump dive: capping the last flag. Realistically this is like body rolling or even trying a real superman dive.

multiple player flag caps: rocks already posted this somewhat...but for N-player flag, u only need like N+1 or 2 players to cap it...everyone else should be rushing to block the incoming nades or players. Especially on the sherman, clervaux 2-caps and any 3-man flags.

ninjaing or pitching a tent: especially on dexworld's people try to play the team game...so capping a 1-point flag is useless unless u can hold it or its for a full cap or defensive stop. If ur on teh offensive side either ninja(hide) in a spot or just mow down the incoming enemy. Helping ur team kill a (spanw)wave allows them time to cap doubles or push up. Only effective if the team is actually trying to do teamwork.

Capping an offensive 1-point flag is like holding a "i am here sign".
don't run away rom a nade if its primed chances are u'll get dmg'd anyways...if its not toss it back.

shooting through walls: this is WWII not MW. its not as tactically...randomly shooting through walls can help on certain maps
especially the sherman sniper nests and tiger. Helps especially if you saw muzzle flashes

muzzle flash watching or deadman watching
Tells u where the enemy was. Especially on a pub...the minimap is can be ur friend.

peeking some peopel like to peek before shooting. So if ur on higher ground its prolly best to peek at teh action and run back and turtle than stand on the ledge and aim.

mg rambo/cover fire mg is easier to control with a higher sensitivity.
but ramboing itself is an art (u can either aim up to down or down to up) One of them has a better % of killing. Crouching ramboing is more effective but with the dexworld antirambo plugin =[, one needs more practice to see how the plugin works. BTW we should get the alien(oncrack) view mod ...that thing is wicked.

Also the mg is primarily used for cover fire ...not to sit there and look pretty...so one should be burst firing periodically and at random intervals...especially through walls. Also helps if ur looking at the minimap

MOTION TIPS
Timing Melee(rifle or smg punch): its the same timing mentality as strafing (peek) shot and the zooka reload. Except it involves sprinting and timing the hit as u come out of the sprint animation (and there are sprint animation lags/glitches in this game).

Zooka reload and shoot: i have never been able to master this stupid weapon nor will i but other people prolly can give tips.

prone strafe: proning rules...and if u can get away with it prone strafe while atempting a reload its like worming your body. Effective most of the time especially against autos, and if u know ur team is coming up right behind.

falling or jump landing: don't know why dod disables jump shooting but i guess its cuz its WWII. If ur going to jump and fall...its better to fall so ur gun stays out and u can randomly pray for hits...with enough practice you increase ur percentage of killing just like noscoping or ramboing.

If u plan to jump over something and u hear the enemy its best to clip the obstacle ur jumping over so your gun comes out.

In a map like crazyjump just fall rather than jump (makes for some fun melee air battles)
Awesome reply! Thanks.

-novid: Prevents the Valve startup movie from playing when loading up the game, speeding up startup time.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #9
Lumino
Drive a Bimmer

This thread should get a Sticky!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
Fysiks
‹ber

Choke is the server not getting packets from you as you said. That, then, means there is a chance that my single shot is in one of those failed packets! I never play with choke if I don't have to do so.

I hate stopsound and I almost always use cl_particlefx 3. But, I do have it togglable if my framerate is affected.

Also, I'm quite sure I've never seen a Steam video for Day of Defeat (or any HL1 game that I've happened to play).

When I googled launch options some of the noforce* ones have descriptions that contradict what you say they do
Fysiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #11
Crude
‹ber

Most of the stuff is agreeable, except the not capping the advanceing flag.

capping a 1-point flag is useless unless u can hold it or its for a full cap or defensive stop.

Take Sherman, if make it to the oppisite second, and dont cap, it does not tell your team that you have pushed the ally up to the flag, Capping the flag ALWAYS is a good thing if you can, reguardless if you can hold it or not, and reguardless of the map. It lets your team know its safe to rush to that point untill the flag changes. Its selfish not to cap it and to hide and hold the advantage of the other team not expecting you to be there. ( as there are some people who seem to always know your there reguardless of how hidden you are)..

I hide in a bush, or around a blind corner, and let a few enemys pass, sprint past a flag, turn around and hide behind a blind corner, then wait to see how many more will run by, with no intentions on shooting anyone, two or three will pass no porblems, then like magic, someone comes around the corner prefireing, like they knew I was there, How did they know? I dont know, I say hacker!!!, and people get mad and say NO he is just good. This is how I play a lot of the time, seeing what I can get away with, mainly looking for good places to hide, blind spots in the maps. Try it sometime, your perceptions of the "dod gods" will change..

Enjoy,
Peace!
Thomas'73
Ntlgnce@Work.here
Old 06-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #12
Bait
‹ber

if ur in a advancing position thats what sending a signal or talking over comm or even through chat is for...capping a flag is useless if ur the only one upfront...considering u''ll be mowed down and if u cap it ur team may think its safe and then get mowed down by the the advancing opposition squad.

The only reason to cap an opposition 1-man-flag not for a full cap is if u have an entire squad that can hold the flag for points as is the case in eagle league where fullcaps mean less than positioning.

its also not selfish to avoid capping the flag...especially if ur team is trying to cap the 2-man on a map like sherman/tiger ...this allows u to give the element of surprise on the spawning waves allowing ur team time to cap...or allowing you to communicate to ur team the number of people going different directions if ur team is communicative...

signaling "I'm here I'm here" is definitely not helping the team...unless u intend to do it on purpose so ur team can cap which more often is not the case...its just i want a flag thinking that the 1pt it gives before u die is helpful which is not.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:46 PM   #13
Crude
‹ber

Getting the flag is ALWAYS a good thing for the team reguardless if it gets capped back right away. It tells everyone that you've made it that far, Ya, you let the other team know But more importantly it tells your team mates to move up.

Think of it like this,, you make it to the flag point 5 times, your by yourself everytime, and dont cap it once. None of your team mates know you have ever progressed that far, so they sit back. Now if they see that flag has been capped back and forth 5 times, they will start going that way and helping, instead of helping to hold the mid.

Enjoy,
Peace!
Thomas'73
Ntlgnce@Work.here
Old 06-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #14
Bait
‹ber

As for "ninjaing"/sneaking/hiding/melee
Alot of "dod gods" do this regardless ...its especially needed in league play.
Therefore they also have the countermeasure mentality to think to hunt.
Especially if they are also meleers, considering you dont' want to get melee'd your self.
The difference between league play and pubs is that u have a tendency to look around corners in league play cuz u cannot give up a full cap and u need to where the entire opposition is (6-7 players)...and u look for specific people u know who hide...its not that hard....on dexworld you look for people (regulars) to hunt like phantom, rocks, rendel (and that sidekick of his) and even somerlot, bob , fds( on the rare occasion) and barb. These are people you expect to push on any map cuz u know when they get the chance they will comeback on a pushing wave and will shoot to kill (sometimes melee...in rendels case) to help their team attempt to push.

As for the people running by you
Just because you play on a pub where u think the 3+ playesr passing you dont' see you ...doesn't mean an experience player won't think to look...its how they play: "trying to look around as many corners as possible" and even on the minimap...they may have mental lapses here and there.
Half the time most people dont' care to look prolly cuz their drunk, high, tired, stressed, and dont' really come to play competitively. While some do.
Not everyone thinks the same way or is drunk or high when they're playing this.
Its especially not that hard for twitchers or people who know how to hide on a map (ninjas, meleers), to look in various corners...and it may be that unlucky time that you get caught. Not everyone looks down the barrel of their gun in dod, looking only at that line of sight. Most people would prolly be looking through the scenery without moving their gun.

-----------------------
As for being hunted itself:
I hide all the time... last night, for example, i had the full cap in hand on sturm the other night but i made one "running sound mistake" (cuz i got greedy) and the last guy going through that axis doors heard me and came back to shoot me as i was gunning for hte first ,...i thought i was home free....to do a double cap.

***These are things that may give you away
playing against experienced meleers
playing against people who love to look at custom maps and map glitches

killing someone to get to a position
returning to kill someone previously in your spot
opposition is dying around you (this can prolly go back as far as 5minutes)
capping a flag ...
muzzle flash / some stupid teammate is making noise around you
not being in play for a while

------------------------------------------
killing someone to get to a position
killing someone then disappearing without dying means ur still active on the map. This especially applies to people like rocks, phantom and rendel. And its why i enjoy meleeing them once for the 5 deaths that i might get. Cuz they know the maps well and its hard to sneak up on them. And rendel fucking knows places to hide himself, by himself.

returning to kill someone previously in your spot
If u happen to be in a region where ur killer was killled before hand....This person should be looking around that area if he's going around in that direction

opposition is dying around you (this can prolly go back as far as 5minutes)
If your teammates are dropping the enemy around you ...chances are some enemy are paying attention and will be looking around.

muzzle flash
this will give away a region regardless if its ur enemry or someone elses

playing against experienced meleers
playing against people who love to look at custom maps and map glitches
They know where theyr'e hiding spots are...and they don't want to die by melee.

not being in play for a while
this is something phantom loves to do...kill like 5 and run to some far off position of the map ..then kill 5 more and repeat the process. Thats why he's an amazing player to HUNT, sadly he doesn't play anymore. But its reasons

------------------------------------------
Its very hard to tell apart hackers from experienced (and mentally active players). The only "skillz" u can prolly call ingame is the walling and the aimbot...but this involves spec'ing and actually counting how many bullets they are missing and whether they are missing on purpose.
Complaining about how peopel can run scripts as a person did last night. Yes some people may run scripts...but not all good players do...and its very hard to tell especially when people do have fast fingers and actually come to play and not just talk.

The worst part about playing on a pub ...is when people complain about it "OVER THE FUCKING MIC" especially somoene who doesn't play competitively and tends to just ramble shit on a server anyway.

Complaining over the mic irritates the hell outta me especially when u can just type it out and not bother other people's ears (fucking steam and their taking away the good old muting system, why fix something that wasn't broke!!). I alway sforget the new muting system which i fucking hate. But i find it better to yell at the guy and make him shutup.

-----
Also some league players scrim like 3 times a night...I was talking to a buddy who plays TF2(lsoing all his dod skills)...fuck the guy scrims 3-4 times a night...trying to find recruits who can play at that level. These people know so much about the game play becausse it involves studying the game...and fucking tricks (speed, weapon etc).

Lastly
Its too bad FPS game developers dont' include a recording option of server side top-down view of the overall game evolution with some basic minimap and arrows like you would see in Boids/Flocks demo or RTS games. This would allow you to see how the game play evolved observing how different players play...but on 30min maps this might be tedious

Thats why i like FPS/RTS blended games like NS ...but NS only allows one person to view the map like that.

Also FPS game developers should include recording of players without the environment detail (or with alpha set to 0.9+). To illustrate what they are looking at .

Last edited by Bait; 06-11-2011 at 05:15 PM..
Old 06-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #15
Very small rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fysiks
Choke is the server not getting packets from you as you said. That, then, means there is a chance that my single shot is in one of those failed packets! I never play with choke if I don't have to do so.

I hate stopsound and I almost always use cl_particlefx 3. But, I do have it togglable if my framerate is affected.

Also, I'm quite sure I've never seen a Steam video for Day of Defeat (or any HL1 game that I've happened to play).

When I googled launch options some of the noforce* ones have descriptions that contradict what you say they do
Choke is irrelevant. Any packets bounced by the server are re-sent. Lowering you rate will have the same effect, your machine won't send as many updates. If you have choke the server won't get as many. Best to send it the most it can handle and let it drop packets.

Any packets dropped by the client are "loss" and lost. You shouldn't play with loss, but loss is a sign you are on the wrong server. Adjusting your rates for loss will cause other problems. Play on a different server or get off dialup.

Back when this was a half-life mod, there was a generic load screen. If it's not there anymore, I wouldn't know because I have been copypasting the launch options I use from a text file whenever I reinstall for years.

I checked on the noforce launch options as well and found much contradictory information. Of what I found, this makes the most sense:

Quote:
-noforcemparms
Makes CS use the desktop mouse button settings. Basically switches off CS being able to reassign buttons already bound (like mouse 3 for vent).

-noforcemaccel
Makes CS use the mouse accel settings of Windows.

-noforcemspd
Makes CS use the windows mouse speed settings.
In addition to this I found something I forgot about, which does do what I said these setting do above, the CPL mouse fix. Windows has built-in mouse acceleration even if you turn it off in the control panel! The CPL mouse fix corrects this in the Windows registry. It is valid for XP, Vista, and probably Windows 7. If you want to remove all mouse acceleration, and you should, then use the CPL mouse fix.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #16
Very small rocks!

Quote:

As for being hunted itself:
I hide all the time... last night, for example, i had the full cap in hand on sturm the other night but i made one "running sound mistake" (cuz i got greedy) and the last guy going through that axis doors heard me and came back to shoot me as i was gunning for hte first ,...i thought i was home free....to do a double cap.

Also some league players scrim like 3 times a night...I was talking to a buddy who plays TF2(lsoing all his dod skills)...fuck the guy scrims 3-4 times a night...trying to find recruits who can play at that level. These people know so much about the game play becausse it involves studying the game...and fucking tricks (speed, weapon etc).

Lastly
Its too bad FPS game developers dont' include a recording option of server side top-down view of the overall game evolution with some basic minimap and arrows like you would see in Boids/Flocks demo or RTS games. This would allow you to see how the game play evolved observing how different players play...but on 30min maps this might be tedious

Also FPS game developers should include recording of players without the environment detail (or with alpha set to 0.9+). To illustrate what they are looking at .
1. That was me, wasn't it? LOL I remember doing that to you recently. I heard something behind us when I shouldn't have, turned and saw you sprinting around a corner heading to our spawn. It took me awhile to catch up, but I found you, prone looking at a cutoff. BAM! Hold this position!

2. 3-4-10 a night. When new versions came out our clan would go over every map to find every bug and every climb, the fastest way from every A to every B, wall shot checks, choke points, defensive positions, MG placements, sniper placements, etc. Then we would scrim it until we could play it without monitors.

3. Half-life TV gives you many viewing options. You can record demos of hltv. The server needs to put in on though. Only private match servers really use it. You can also record demos of people playing and watch them with wallhacks on. Aside from looking at screenshots, which many known cheats leave evidence in, watching demos with wallhacks is the only way to tell if a good dod player is also using googleskills. Often more than one demo is required for comparison. Aimbots are easy to spot in demos. You just watch the demo in slow motion and watch the gun movements. A Player's mouse moves in slight arcing motions, aimbots cause the gun to switch targets in dead straight lines. Aimbot makers may have gotten smarter in the last couple years though, and figured out how to better mimic genuine aiming skill. It's been awhile since I admined anything/had the desire to go after hackers. It's a fucking BORING thankless job. I will freely admit that M*A*S*H caused me to stop caring. In reality I never cared much about it in pubs because I just shoot them. At least 9 out of every 10 hackers I banned from pubs were just awful at dod even with the hacks on. 99 out of 100 good players I checked into were just that.

Anywho, can we not make this a cheating thread? This thread is about playing better through skill and knowledge.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #17
Bait
‹ber

lol 10 a day? dam ...we use to do only 2 a week and they were prearranged.

nah the sturm was someone with high ping. But yah u've caught me a few times running to do a double cap.

hltv doesn't have teh walls off option does it? Though i guess third party viewers are better for developers cuz u don't have to write the code urself.

nonsensical/hacking accusation chatter to minimum; spectating
keeping chatter to a minimum is better to listen for sound, but for a talkative pub server like dexworld keeping nonsensical chatter to a minimum would be preferred. Which includes the hacker accusations...say it once fine...spam it over text fine...but spamming it into other peoples ears...fuck!. And this went on for like 10 mins the other day. one can't help if 6 people are talking about a topic of the day ..but raging about nonsensical shit that noone cares about damn...just makes ur team rage more than the enemy.
Especially in league play this gets irritating...u can't do anything about it till the end of round anyway so might as well lay off this type of chatter and quit annoying teammates. Its a team game after all.

Last edited by Bait; 06-11-2011 at 10:27 PM..
Old 06-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #18
Bait
‹ber

nade passing
this is a nice skill to have as a team...especially when teh lead doesn't have nades to toss. One of the people in the back just tosses the nade to the guy preferably aimed at the feet so it doesn't rolll. This helps the lead player give it an extra toss that the back players can't do.

Best not to toss to astronomy or starbuck...astronomy can never find the nade even though its at his feet...and starbuck never understands.

i remember that hl video...fucking annoying i think they put it in hl2 too.
it was like a pulsing .gif
Old 06-12-2011, 03:36 PM   #19
Starbuck
STARBUCK!!

master your sprint button. this is almost more important than everything else. speed kills, and i want to second rocks' point about getting places where the enemy doesnt expect you yet. for instance, if i spawn first on the initial rush on sherman, i jog to the main street corner with a primed nade, sprint down past the tank after throwing the nade, it explodes killing 1-3 people, and then im around the enemies corner before anyone there even sets up for a shot, gun blazing. i often will take out the whole first rush of the enemy, setting myself up to displace to another place they dont expect. this is KEY. so many times ive had people ask me incredulously how i made it to their side before they got there.

use sprint when you dodge bullets while strafing. yes one can sprint forward very fast, but its the side to side sprinting that will get you kills. sidestep, shoot, the sprint-sidestep back.

make the first shot count. this is important for any gun, but with a BAR, STG44, or a BREN, if that first shot hits, the second will kill, no questions asked. especially from across the map. use the bar like a garand that has burst capability. bar snipe.

USE YOUR FRAKKING EARS! "how did you know i was there behind that paper thin door and then killed me thru it????" because, i saw you kill 2 people in the wheel house (because i keep track of where my 'men' are), and then heard you jump on a crate. hmm,...lessee here, a crate is about 4 feet high...adjust for wind... bam, dead, start whining. which leads me to....

..KEEP TRACK OF THE FRAKKING BATTLEFIELD: extend your survivability. this is the culmination of what everyone here is saying, the longer you live, the more kills/objectives you can get. i make note of EVERY gun fired when i play, and where it was shot from, because that helps me locate friends and foes.
i know where you are, because i heard a KAR down towards your spawn, and saw my teammate die. then i heard a KAR towards your second flag, and saw another die. so what is logical at this point? run towards the sound of the rifle? NO flank the rifleman and take him/her out from the side. which leads to...

dont ever do the expected, unless you have to, I.E be a predator!:i get a lot of kills, because i dance around to where ever is unexpected. example; someone shoots me in the back but doesnt kill me. i run away, and LET THEM SEE ME run away (thanks braveheart!) but imediately circle around to a spot i know they will give chase to. play mind games with your opponent, prey on their predictably. ever prime a grenade only to have someone charge you, kill you, pick up your grenade and throw it at your teamates? net disaster of 1-5 kills, maybe a final flag cap. take that same situation. switch to you pistol, then back to your main. drop an ammo box, pick it up. they will charge you, but you will have your gun trained on them already, with no grenade, no team kills forced, and no broken dreams.

play smart.

Last edited by Starbuck; 06-12-2011 at 04:04 PM..
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #20
Starbuck
STARBUCK!!

Quote:
nade passing
this is a nice skill to have as a team...especially when teh lead doesn't have nades to toss. One of the people in the back just tosses the nade to the guy preferably aimed at the feet so it doesn't rolll. This helps the lead player give it an extra toss that the back players can't do.

Best not to toss to astronomy or starbuck...astronomy can never find the nade even though its at his feet...and starbuck never understands.

i remember that hl video...fucking annoying i think they put it in hl2 too.
it was like a pulsing .gif
hahaha cuz starbuck is too busy catching the enemy grenades in midair and throwing them back!