Dexworld.org

Well itís finally good to see you!

Welcome to the Dexworld.org forums. We like new folks around here, so since you're not registered yet, why donít you drop us a little note so we can get to know you?

We will be more than happy to show you more of our tight little community once we know who you are.

Go Back   Dexworld.org > Game Forums > Day Of Defeat Discussion
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2011, 03:43 AM   #101
Crude
‹ber

Send a message via Yahoo to Crude

The problem is, overly played maps, err maps that are played to much.. But I think people are forgetting a few key aspects.
#1, Through the years, overly played maps change. Dust, Aztec are just two examples.
#2, The people who want to play these maps over and over, are the people that are keeping Dexworld alive.
#3, Some of the regulars to Dex, come here just to play those maps!
#4, People dont like change!

Load sherman, and watch the server fill up. change it to some no name confusing dark map that we hardly play, and watch it empty.

In my opinion, Restricting nominations from the last 100 maps played, Is a bad idea, But then again so is taking maps off the server, only to dissapear into BF3.

Perhaps Dexworld should have "new maps only" (a restriction from the overly played maps) early in the week, say Sunday -Thursday, then on the weekend "anything goes" Where we could end up playing sherman all night.. (highly doubtfull thats what would happen),, Doing it this way would force people to play the "less played" maps, and get to know them, which in turn should get the better of the lesser played maps nominated for the "anything goes" weekend. Whatever is decided, if anything, I and a LOT of others, would like to play lennon again! Its been over a month at least...

Enjoy,
Peace!
Thomas'73
Ntlgnce@Work.here
Crude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #102
buhbuhray
a.k.a. Blueberry

Send a message via AIM to buhbuhray

I think there is too much whining . honestly I've been here since 2001 or so and this is the most convoluted whine fest I've ever heard.
Non of you have even looked into our vast map selection to even bother with any other options.

you want to have fun STOP BITCHING and play what the server has to offer.
ps we played lennon and harrington last night. you weren't there.......
omg lol k thanks bye
Playing day of defeat is like being on a vacation to some wind swept tropical island where topless native women serve up pina coladas and fancy bottled beer to meet my every need as I sit on top of a tiger tank and they smile knowingly at me as I mg 42 the whole opposing team coming out of spawn !
YES !

Last edited by buhbuhray; 12-02-2011 at 08:13 AM..
buhbuhray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #103
buhbuhray
a.k.a. Blueberry

added tanenbaumA1
Playing day of defeat is like being on a vacation to some wind swept tropical island where topless native women serve up pina coladas and fancy bottled beer to meet my every need as I sit on top of a tiger tank and they smile knowingly at me as I mg 42 the whole opposing team coming out of spawn !
YES !
Old 12-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #104
buhbuhray
a.k.a. Blueberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fysiks
It's probably possible to make "overplayed" maps un-nominatable for a longer period than the others. It would be a compromise, "the best of both worlds."

The years that I played at 95th I never saw a map vote (at the end of a map) and all talk was always off (other than the extremely rare admin initiated alltalk). Maps were played in order. When a map, that many here might consider "bad", came up, the server rarely lost players. It had such a strong following that an unpopular map didn't affect the fun they had. It was awesome. In fact, several of those players now play here at Dex and is how I found out about Dex (Thanks dfgarcia!).
This is how I played the first 5 years of dod. I enjoyed the team work and the over all game play
YES !
Old 12-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #105
Fysiks
‹ber

Most of the time when I can't decide where to play (several of my favs are full) I choose the one with the map that I've never seen before (or rarely see). Wish there were more of us.
Fysiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #106
Bait
‹ber

"Non of you have even looked into our vast map selection"

it isn't that we dont' know about it ....its that 1-5% of the maps get
played even though you do have it. Just trying to find a solution to get that
other 95% played more often, regardless of how many "shitty custom maps" their are
there are prollly plenty of good quality maps in there. IMO any custom map is good for at least
10-15min ...its when you get into the latter stages that people can't do what their use to =[.
The best is when people whine about being lost...i findf that part ofthe fun...exploring the map

No point to having them on the server if they aren't being forced regularly into the rotation and people can't remember the mapnames associate to the maps. (yes one can use the servers listmaps but most of the names are obscure that you can't remember everything) Also the stats
pages don't list all the maps...they have a category for "other maps or unknown maps"

The first few years i played at dex...i remember teh dex server name being
dexworld.org[FF custom maps] or was it [custom maps FF]. I dont' think "custom maps" is part of the name anymore. back then there was some wierd ass maps ...thats why i stayed on this server more than the other customs server i knew + the FF. Custom map servesr without the FF boo!!
Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #107
Domnatr
Five - O

Problem i run into like Nice Guy pointed out is when I try and change the map, because people want to play the same fuckin maps all day long, they bitch and whine and then taddle that i changed the map. Back when i first started dexworld, back in 2000, it didnt matter what map we were on, it would get changed on a whim. People didn't complain or bitch or moan over it. So take this as a forewarning, if i feel a map is horibbly overplayed, i will type listmaps and change it to a map that i dont recognize, and we shall all deal with it and test it out. Obviously if it sucks, we will change it to something else. Tired of sherman, railroad, tiger, kalt, donnor all that bullshit
Old 12-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #108
korean-knife
n00b

i play exclusively only at the dexworld server. honestly, i don't feel like trying to sift thru the servers with bots. i've grown to like most of the people that play on dex. it's a nice community. i feel accepted most of the time. occasionally there might be someone accusing me of cheating, and this makes me sad/angry. but overall everyone is really friendly and accepting. i know this is a rare thing to find on today's internet full of ragers/trolls/dumbasses. dex has really grown on me.
about the maps, while reading thru most of these comments, i gotta agree with buhbuh... quite a lot of whining. but on the otherhand, what maps are being played or not played is part of what makes this server great or average. i admit that i am a fiend for the stock maps. but i have learned to exchange what i want for what others may want too. it's give and take. not everyone can be happy. this is not how the world works. i think nominations are a great in that it lets the majority of people decide what they want to play, and if a couple people drop because they want to play, that's up to them. maybe there can be a few changes in what maps can or can't be nominated, but i can't think of a better way.
in my opinion, i don't think any of the stock maps should be taken out of the map rotation / option to nominate. but i see how this can be boring to some. personally the stock maps are my favorite because everyone knows the maps and to me this brings more challenge and intensity. there are definitely some great custom maps though that do the same thing. both sides to everything..
i look at the bright side of things and am glad that i happened to stumble upon such a great bunch of folks. whether or not it's a map i like, i try to make the most of it, and only once in a great while whine out loud about the map. i've been working on that too though, i don't want to part of a crying mob. instead, i've been trying to ask others if they think we should "rtv". usually it seems like most agree.
korean-knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:29 AM   #109
Crude
‹ber

I agree, some maps are overly played, They are overly played for a reason, people like to play them, its human nature not to accept change. Respected regs love to play certin maps, sherman, saints, yadda yadda, Most of the people who like to play those maps, are not online every night, they are here once a week if they are lucky, so the overly played maps, to them are not overly played. If they cant get their dose of saints, they just might go somewhere else to get it. I do agree something needs to be done, I am just questioning the actions taken, with respect to the person who took that action. Just trying to find a happy medium, thats not going to kill dex world.

NOTE*
The new version of Hostile, is the best version, and does NOT play like a Hostile, After playing it a few times with 8v8, I should have given it a different name. I can understand your hesitation of putting it on, as there are so many versions of it out already, but it definatly should of gotten a new name!.. Put it on the server, I know hostile haters will love it, as everyone who has played it, ( even the extream critics) have enjoyed playing it, and even requested extend on several occasions).

Enjoy,
Peace!
Thomas'73
Ntlgnce@Work.here

Last edited by Crude; 12-06-2011 at 02:36 AM..
Old 12-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #110
buhbuhray
a.k.a. Blueberry

killing dexworld is in the eye of the beholder......
For every one person thats gotta have sherman or dexworld will die advocate, there are others who would love to play something else to fill that slot.
The trouble is , they see it being played on the server list they play elsewhere , where there is no sherman night in and night out.

Whining about it is redundant . it's just time to move on with a different custom map to enjoy night in and night out......

change is good

as I have always stated , familiarity breeds contempt.....

Question my actions when everyone knows it was me that took the map off is kind of an under current of the circle of shermanites /hackusationalists that is what is driving people away from this server.

Yet at the same time were seeing new faces .

and why bother putting new maps on ? obviously people are happy with what we have otherwise we wouldn't be having a debate over taking sherman off, even though we have cal sherman..

cal sherman you know the same sherman map only slightly redone for cal league play...

So you see the bitch fest wasn't really about the map it was about the loss ..
snif , here we are gathered together to bid farewell to the map called sherman.
overly played by bar whores and adrenalin junkys to the point of redundancy.. a constant team stacking event and bitch fest that will be remembered .

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
it was just disabled .
I assumed you all could handle it for awhile as I tried to influence change for the betterment of the over all community.
clearly the criminal intentions of my actions went above and beyond decent normal behavior.
lol

Oh and I'm sure once I get over this situation I might put more new maps on. But really you've all ready showed that new isn't what you want..

buh
ps SHUT YOUR WHINY BITCHY PIE HOLE AND PLAY or YOUR GONNA GET BANNED
YES !
Old 12-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #111
Crude
‹ber

Quote:
Originally Posted by buhbuhray
killing dexworld is in the eye of the beholder......
For every one person thats gotta have sherman or dexworld will die advocate, there are others who would love to play something else to fill that slot.
The trouble is , they see it being played on the server list they play elsewhere , where there is no sherman night in and night out.

Whining about it is redundant . it's just time to move on with a different custom map to enjoy night in and night out......

change is good

as I have always stated , familiarity breeds contempt.....

Question my actions when everyone knows it was me that took the map off is kind of an under current of the circle of shermanites /hackusationalists that is what is driving people away from this server.

Yet at the same time were seeing new faces .

and why bother putting new maps on ? obviously people are happy with what we have otherwise we wouldn't be having a debate over taking sherman off, even though we have cal sherman..

cal sherman you know the same sherman map only slightly redone for cal league play...

So you see the bitch fest wasn't really about the map it was about the loss ..
snif , here we are gathered together to bid farewell to the map called sherman.
overly played by bar whores and adrenalin junkys to the point of redundancy.. a constant team stacking event and bitch fest that will be remembered .

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
it was just disabled .
I assumed you all could handle it for awhile as I tried to influence change for the betterment of the over all community.
clearly the criminal intentions of my actions went above and beyond decent normal behavior.
lol

Oh and I'm sure once I get over this situation I might put more new maps on. But really you've all ready showed that new isn't what you want..

buh
ps SHUT YOUR WHINY BITCHY PIE HOLE AND PLAY or YOUR GONNA GET BANNED

Well said, buhbuh, sometime its better to let people know whats up then to leave it to the wild imaginations people have.. People asked, what happened to lennon? someone says it was buhbuhray took them out of rotation, then someone else asks where is buhbuh? It didnt look good for you,, Its nice to hear you voice whats up from your perspective.. Personally, I could care less if its sherman, lennon, or saints, And I totally enjoy exploring a new map, 9 times out of 10, I vote maps because I dont recognize the name. When I do vote a saints into play, its only because a wolf told me to do it.

One point I would like to highlight is, with me being one of the few who plays on the server from dusk till dawn. We play 16-20 maps a night, which makes the overly played maps a grain of golden salt in the sea of maps. Playing a saints sherman lennon rotation, on a full server every night, is a welcome refreshment to the maze of salty maps we do play. Totally removing those good maps from the rotation, makes it seem like the really good maps are few and far between.

I hope something can be figured out that pleases everyone. The constant whinning, is just people just voicing their opinions. Now stop whinning about them whinning, aww crap now you got me whinning about you whinning about them whinning.. ITS A NEVER ENDING CYCLE... LOL...

Enjoy,
Peace!
Thomas'73
Ntlgnce@Work.here
Old 12-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #112
Bait
‹ber

most custom maps are good as long as it fits the appropriate number of people on the server, and it was a 15-20min map rotation or rtv'd during a 10min stalement.

i still don't know why people don't like hunting...its a good fast reflex map...to avoid getting spawn camp a) fast cap out, b) spawn camp them c) communicate ... and its a good 10v10 map.

hostile is a decent map for 5v5 or less but playing it 2-3 times a night 7 days a week...seriously wtf....even if i only game 2x a week i see it everytime i'm on as per saints/sherman... you can argue that those people hwo like them sparsely play...but when they all don't play at the same time ...it gets played 2/3 times a night 7days aweek.

WWII and even modern strategic warfare you dont' get to pick your terrain...
if you have a truck in your away, you can't RTV and ask the admin to change the map. Granted some maps have invisible glitches for both motion and shots...but some of those glitches dont' effect the overall layout of the map... (only tensions comes to mind of the glitches that kill the map)

WWII has so many styles(ie close combat; open warfare)...
i just wish people played more team-oriented styles,
1) interms of weapon selection especially in open warfare...if your 5-20 as a sniper/mg its time to give it up...its not cuz the map sucks.
2) Or the person behind you capping a useless flag alerting the opposing team to enemy presence in the area, your behidn enemy lines don't wave teh white flag.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #113
Mr Nice Guy
Hi! I'm an asshole!

That's why I got burned out on the replayed maps, it wasn't about keeping people happy it was about keeping people complacent. Sucks when you spawn and walk past 2/3 of your team just to get to the mid point of a map and it's dead silent as far as what people are trying to accomplish. That's why I'd rather have a crowded server though, just have enough numbers to keep things team oriented and be able to ignore the guys who like to sit in the back and wait for the game to be played for them.
Mr Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #114
Zhang Liao
Hi! I'm an asshole!

I don't play here because of the map rotation. I play here because it is Dexworld. I don't care if one particular map gets over played. I only get upset when it is the same three or four maps over and over again night after night.

Even if it is the same maps over and over night after night I am going to keep playing here vs somewhere else, so long as there is at least one other player in the server.

Zhang
Zhang Liao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #115
Bait
‹ber

"I only get upset when it is the same three or four maps over and over again night after night." and that is teh case sometimes
saints, hostile, sherman, donner, kalt and int he past lennon and rr
Old 12-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #116
buhbuhray
a.k.a. Blueberry

what are the two LEAST played stock maps , can you name them
YES !
Old 12-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #117
Bait
‹ber

merderet/sturm and charlie or chemille and zalec

looking at the stats page...

merderet/sturm and jagd (found on pg3 of stats unless some stocks are classified as unkown)
i'm surprised jagd is played so little. its such a fun concept map.

mmm looks like rr1 is lower but rr2 is prolly higher
Old 12-07-2011, 12:27 AM   #118
Maniac
Spazz Out

Jagd isn't played for 2 reasons, reason number many regs seemed to be against; reason number 2 the map at one point was so overly played in this server that everyone knew the strategy to beat the map so well that it became an annoying stale mate most of the time.
Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:38 AM   #119
Tallgeese_lll
Your mother

Quote:
what are the two LEAST played stock maps , can you name them
Merderet and Falaise are the least played stock maps on the server. Followed by Zalec and Jagd.

But only in their dreams can men truly be free. Twas always thus, and always thus will be
Tallgeese_lll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:16 AM   #120
Crude
‹ber

All in all, dex is a fun place to be, reguardless of who's crying bullshit, or what map we are playing on. 9 times out of 10, if you want a map voted in, voice it. turn on all talk for the last two mins before the vote, Then have a group discussion, The regs far outnumber the noobs.. The problem seems to be that the regs are not communicating with each other, and there are two good NEW maps up for vote, half vote the one map, the other half votes the other, which allows the noobs to get the map choice, and we end up playing SHERMAN2_B2 for the third time..

On a full server, If Bait, Rocket, or Dom, or any other recognized reg spoke up (with alltalk on) and said everyone vote dod_CRAP, gaurenteed the next map would be dod_crap, reguardless of how many shermans are are in the list. If that keeps failing, drop the list of maps to choose from down to three or 4 choices, with only one nomination allowed per player, ( so one person cant fill up the nominations).

Someone stated above that better communication is needed in the game, well communication is also the key to the next map.

Maybe we could have a 4 O'clock Sherman, 430 siants. to help get the server going.. and then maybe change the "themed" map each day of the week, like tuesdays at 4-5 would be lennon-tiger. Wed a donner hostile, fridays ( for wolfpack), an 8 O'clock Saints. This would of course would have to be done by an admin, unless someone knows how to write a plugin that could handle it..

Today,
My vote goes to my latest brain fart, the 4-5 Oclock time frame for the overly played maps. It gets a few of them outta the way early, and if people know those maps are going to be played they might make an effort to show up to play populating the server earlier.

Enjoy,
Peace!
Thomas'73
Ntlgnce@Work.here