Dexworld.org

Well itís finally good to see you!

Welcome to the Dexworld.org forums. We like new folks around here, so since you're not registered yet, why donít you drop us a little note so we can get to know you?

We will be more than happy to show you more of our tight little community once we know who you are.

Go Back   Dexworld.org > Game Forums > Day Of Defeat Discussion
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2015, 06:40 PM   #1
karupt411
5KI|L$

Default Dexworld Team Tournament Sunday Nights?

I know this is hard to coordinate but if you are seriously interested in playing in a tournament style gameplay, post here. I'm thinking teams of 6 either by my random selection or captain draft. Teams will coordinate to play a best of 3 matches with winner moving on bracket style. Hopefully we could get at least 5-6 teams in this to make it fun. Winner has bragging rights!! Goal is to make fair and balanced teams so the matches are truly up for grabs and not a steam roll.

Phantom, you okay with this? Would you go along and lock the server for a 3 matches on a Sunday evening if I gather enough serious interest?
karupt411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:49 PM   #2
Batman
n00b

I would be game
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:18 PM   #3
TotesMagoats

Good luck with that...This isn't going to happen. Sorry.

We have suggested something similar to this, once a month, and it was shot down...this isn't going to fly either.

If, for some miracle it does, I would be down.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:25 PM   #4
PHANTOM
The One and Only

Lemme get this straight.

You want 5-6 teams of 6 players, to play best of 3 matches, and winners move to next bracket to play best of 3, and so on, until we get a winning team.

If that's what you're proposing, then its a definite, no.

Mainly because the first bracket would take at minimum with 6 teams, 3 hours min - 4 1/2 hours max, with 30 min maps. Then another couple hours for the next bracket, and so on, depending on how many teams there are. We can't lock the server down for that long.

If you are suggesting something different, post it, and we will look into it, if there is enough interest.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:41 PM   #5
karupt411
5KI|L$

Sorry. No, not all in one night for that exact reason. Just max one of hour tourney play per week, thinking Sunday night so it's not popular friday/Saturday but still convenient to play.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:02 PM   #6
Bait
‹ber

reminds me of eagle league!

Raptor (i think) also has a similar thread
Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:10 PM   #7
TotesMagoats

http://dexworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9891

Start on page 11...
Old 03-28-2015, 12:12 AM   #8
industrial windmill

Are you new here?!?
industrial windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:59 AM   #9
Starbuck
STARBUCK!!

Look, it CAN be done. I would love to see it. But will the people get behind it? We had the momentum for something like that, but it seems to be slipping away again
Old 03-28-2015, 11:18 AM   #10
Fysiks
‹ber

This proposal is far beyond anything that we have seen proposed in recent discussions. In those recent discussions, it was stated, by most proponents even, that a competitive structure is definitely not what they wanted. The proposal was essentially to have a fun match occasionally but on a consistent basis (weekly, monthly, etc.).

A competitive match configuration is not inline with this community's general atmosphere.
Fysiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:35 AM   #11
karupt411
5KI|L$

wow. 6 negative posts to 1. soo much pessimism and negativity. forget this. obviously fighting a massive uphill battle against pessimists.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:42 AM   #12
Fysiks
‹ber

Quote:
Originally Posted by karupt411 View Post
wow. 6 negative posts to 1. soo much pessimism and negativity. forget this. obviously fighting a massive uphill battle against pessimists.
It's not really pessimism because it has been discussed before (recently) and this idea is beyond the original proposal which is already in a very grey area. Please don't take it personally.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:12 PM   #13
Bait
‹ber

u can talk to whoever suggested that they'd fork over the $$ for a testserver to see if it'll game momentum.

Other than that wait for the timely seasonal matches to vent on teh admins

then again they usually have someone in ghost mode.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:41 PM   #14
TotesMagoats

Not being negative, Karupt....You're merely suggesting something that was brought up 2 months ago. I attached the thread for you to look at...if you read it, you'd see I was totally FOR something like this.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:31 PM   #15
<eVa> Raptor
5KI|L$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
Look, it CAN be done. I would love to see it. But will the people get behind it? We had the momentum for something like that, but it seems to be slipping away again
Momentum is slipping simply because we were told a big fat NO!

That usually causes someone to lose interest......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait View Post
u can talk to whoever suggested that they'd fork over the $$ for a testserver to see if it'll game momentum.

Other than that wait for the timely seasonal matches to vent on teh admins

then again they usually have someone in ghost mode.
The idea for $$ was also suggested and even then, at no cost or harm to Dexworld at all, was also shot down with a NO.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:57 PM   #16
Domnatr
Five - O

Although I completely understand the want and need for competitive DoD play, right now I feel that it does not coincide with what Dexworld is about. It is a fun loving pub server, not a try hard clan server. Dexworld has never been a clan, never been registerd in CAL, or CPL or anything of the like. Anytime players wished to play in those leagues, we were told that Dexworld's name could not be used and that our own clan had to be formed.

With this I will cite the last rule of Dexworld of the server rules that better explains what I am talking about. "These servers are here for amusement first, competition second. Defaults are changed, noises are made, and your player will likely do stuff involuntarily. This isn't g*y, f*ggy, fucking lame, h*m* j*w or whatever other pathetic insult you picked up at the lunch table today. Most of the admins are old friggin men and have little tolerance for these types of attitudes."

I think if you guys are really itching for a match, then we can try and get something going soon with admins or for a donation type setting to try and garner some support so that we can keep the server open and playable. Trust me folks, I know I have been the one to poo poo the idea of league play on Dexworld, but it is only because that is not what Dexworld has been about or what our basis has ever been. Personally I enjoy league and scrimming and clan matches, but in the actual Dexworld spirit, it just does not fit. Hope that clarifies a little more.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:44 AM   #17
karupt411
5KI|L$

Actually, when I tried to express a tournament, I did state for bragging rights. I should have expanded more clearly. The tourney is completely in house to all the pubbers that come to Dexworld who would want to play. It would run when the server is dead (for example sunday evening 7:00 EST). The match would last no longer than 1 hour. With only one match per week. yes it will take many weeks but the whole thing is voluntary and fun. I thought it would be fun for random teams of regular dex'ers to play each other. Actually, I would try and force the balancing of teams if I was granted to "captain" this. The point being so that fun and laughs would rule, not skill.

Hopefully that provided some clarity. So, can I begin the process of determining if there is interest of minimum 24 players? If there is serious interest shown, then we can move on to determining specifics. So, what do you say? All I'm doing is asking permission to seek "interest" in something like this.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:08 AM   #18
Fysiks
‹ber

I don't think you understand, completely, what has been said. It was already suggested to have some matches 'just for fun'. I personally don't like match-type gameplay and like I said, a monthly match has been discussed and that is on the edge so an organized tournament would be much harder to get approved much less executed.

If a monthly (or other regular period) match is ever approved, I would consider that a stepping stone for something more.

Also, many of our regulars can't or don't want to commit to a particular time and date for any type of match. People like to play when they have some free time.

In summary, if a regular period match were ever to be approved and it was very successful, only then could something like this be discussed with realistic expectation.

This is my opinion, I'm not speaking for all the admins.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:40 AM   #19
Bait
‹ber

" bragging rights." just wait for the admin-vs-leeches

NOTE: most regulars don't even have forum accounts, or some don't speak english ie rendel...and those that are probably interested are Totes' karhos =] and fluid.

Don't get me wrong:
what your proposing sounds like
[1] battle-for-europe (or victory-in-europe)
https://www.facebook.com/BFEVIE
...never played but it seems alot of fun

[2] the HK/SOF/COR scrims (i think only HK is still active) that are held every week or month. Tho i don't get the point in signing up if its 16v16 and they only have 10v10s

...u should prollly try to get teh monthly pub scrimming up-and-running before moving to the 6v6...and since the monthly one has never taken off....but you might be in a better
spot, given 2-3 active techish admins(rocket, fyx, phantom) ones that can fix it if it goes down [maybe SDM]. BBR use to organize it i think and he was pretty server-savy
Old 03-29-2015, 01:23 PM   #20
PHANTOM
The One and Only

There is no one stopping you from searching for interest from the regs. Obviously you can look if you want.

We are just trying to tell you, matches have been tried, multiple times. The only reason they fail, is because of the ppl that swear on thier kids, moms, etc, that they will show, yet never show. That is why its so hard just to get admin/leech matches going, or holiday matches. They will tell you to your face that they will definitely shot, but over and over again, they will not. They will show great interest but become unreliable. This is also the reason most of our others game servers have failed.

That being said, it doesn't mean we aren't still trying, but we aren't gonna put much effort in, when the regs don't really want it.

Currently the requirements for a match consist of :

1-2 admins present
people actually showing up
matches to be held much earlier in the evening
donations (optional)

Those are the main req's for a match to be set up. The admins need to be there to get it started and deal with any issues. Interest in matches will always be high, but ppl actually showing is the real result. Matches will need to be held when server has inactivity, so much earlier in the evening, and will need a minimum of 1-2 hours before the servers more active hours. Also donations are always needed, but optional per match.

To help your cause more, you will need the interest shown on the forums. Meaning we need to actually see the interest, so word of mouth won't cut it, each of them need to show interest on the forums. Even the other thread didn't really garner much interest 5-8 ppl max. They will say they were shot down, but still during that time, not much interest from members.

Easiest way on the forums is to set up a poll, see what interest you get, count on 90% of that interest not showing up. See what admins are available during that time, if they are not included in the interest poll, because your need of admins during the selected time. Which in turn even that may be against you since most of the admins don't even play lately, let alone earlier in the evening or late afternoon.

It sounds like alot of negativity, but all in all, its just the facts. You all can blame the admins all you want about the matches, but in all honesty, its the ppls fault that matches fail, not the admins. So when you look to blame, take that long look in the mirror, at the true reason of the failed matches.