Dexworld.org

Well itís finally good to see you!

Welcome to the Dexworld.org forums. We like new folks around here, so since you're not registered yet, why donít you drop us a little note so we can get to know you?

We will be more than happy to show you more of our tight little community once we know who you are.

Go Back   Dexworld.org > Game Forums > Day Of Defeat Discussion
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 10:36 PM   #1
zzoom
zoom zoom

Default Am I allowed to unscope my sniper rifle by changing to the pistol?

I'm playing a little DoD lately and someone told me I can't do this.

Is it true?
Old 12-29-2014, 10:42 PM   #2
(((Sonic-Death-Monkey)))
high fidelity

You were originally quickswitching. You fired your sniper rifle, switched to the pistol, and then switched back to the sniper rifle and fired again. (bypassing the reload animation) I can't speak for the reach of the rule, because the rule itself isn't all that detailed. I've had senior admins tell me that you'll need to fire your pistol if you're going to switch to it.

Quote:
Exploiting flaws in game code is cheating, regardless of what your sociopathic clan leader claims. This includes ó but common sense oughta tell you isn't limited to ó bunny hopping, aim bots, wallhacks, no-recoil,teammate boosting, silent run scripts, jumping out of the play area in a map, bypassing the reload animation on bolt action weapons by switching to your secondary weapon, and other such nonsense.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
Mr Nice Guy
Hi! I'm an asshole!

I mean I never shoot the 2nd round when I do that, it's always to re-position faster. How can you bypass a reload for a bullet that never gets fired?

But yeah I see people bitch about it, I also see people accuse someone of quickswitching literally for drawing a pistol and shooting it... I think it's safe to say anyone who isn't an admin doesn't know which rule needs to be enforced and can be ignored. (besides Fysiks who just makes shit up on the fly because he needs to bust his bureaucrat nut)

Also you've probably played on dex as long as any one who's actively on the server I think they'd have caught onto you using scripts or hacks by now :P
Old 12-29-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
zzoom
zoom zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice Guy View Post
I mean I never shoot the 2nd round when I do that, it's always to re-position faster. How can you bypass a reload for a bullet that never gets fired?

Exactly. I'm not bypassing any reload with sniper. I'm pulling out the pistol so that I can move after I shoot, and use the pistol if anyone is nearby. Then I scope again and shoot. Reload time is unchanged.

Bypassing the reload animation on rifles is different. I have addressed that in the past but I plan on making another thread for that issue, and proving once and for all that it makes no difference. But that is a different issue.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:57 PM   #5
(((Sonic-Death-Monkey)))
high fidelity

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoom View Post
Exactly. I'm not bypassing any reload with sniper. I'm pulling out the pistol so that I can move after I shoot, and use the pistol if anyone is nearby. Then I scope again and shoot. Reload time is unchanged.

Bypassing the reload animation on rifles is different. I have addressed that in the past but I plan on making another thread for that issue, and proving once and for all that it makes no difference. But that is a different issue.
I don't have a problem with repositioning. However, I feel like you need to wait a few seconds before you switch back to fire off another round. We've also had people come onto the server saying that QSing makes no difference. The response of senior admins? "The rules are the rules. If you don't like it, then you can play on another server." *shrug*
Old 12-29-2014, 11:03 PM   #6
zzoom
zoom zoom

Ok well I'd like to hear from admins about the sniper issue. I will post about the other issue some other time with proof that there is no difference.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:08 PM   #7
(((Sonic-Death-Monkey)))
high fidelity

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoom View Post
Ok well I'd like to hear from admins about the sniper issue. I will post about the other issue some other time with proof that there is no difference.
That's fine. I've already seen the video supporting the argument that QSing gives no advantages to players. Honestly? I don't care either way. I chose to stop doing it, and that's because I enjoy playing here at Dexworld.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:09 PM   #8
Mr Nice Guy
Hi! I'm an asshole!

Most of them are aware it doesn't matter and are following an old "rule of thumb" that not everyone who quickswitches is breaking the rules but everyone who is breaking the rules (scripts and hacks) includes quickswitching in their play style.

No idea when or who put that in place though and it took me less than a week to break the habit everyone else doesn't need but uses anyway. Frankly that's the much dumber part of the argument so I don't care if they change the rule. If quickswitching does nothing, changes nothing, accomplishes nothing... stop fucking doing it.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:15 PM   #9
(((Sonic-Death-Monkey)))
high fidelity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice Guy View Post
If quickswitching does nothing, changes nothing, accomplishes nothing... stop fucking doing it.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:20 PM   #10
Domnatr
Five - O

Whether you agree with it or not, it is not allowed. If you choose to switch to your pistol, it may only be to use it, not to prevent the reload animation. If you are simply switching to pistol then back to the rifle, then that is a huge no no around here. Always has been, always will be. zzoom this is certainly not the only time this has ever been discussed, and one time in a topic, I even saw where you participated. Frankly, you shouldn't have even received a warning for this.

see this forum. http://dexworld.org/forums/showthrea...quickswitching

And you can prove it till you are blue in the face, in fact very small rocks did that very same thing in a thread http://dexworld.org/forums/showthrea...ht=quickswitch. But the rule still stands, I myself got over the habit, and many others. So just going to have to deal with it frankly.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:41 PM   #11
zzoom
zoom zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domnatr View Post
Whether you agree with it or not, it is not allowed. If you choose to switch to your pistol, it may only be to use it, not to prevent the reload animation. If you are simply switching to pistol then back to the rifle, then that is a huge no no around here. Always has been, always will be. zzoom this is certainly not the only time this has ever been discussed, and one time in a topic, I even saw where you participated. Frankly, you shouldn't have even received a warning for this.

see this forum. http://dexworld.org/forums/showthrea...quickswitching

And you can prove it till you are blue in the face, in fact very small rocks did that very same thing in a thread http://dexworld.org/forums/showthrea...ht=quickswitch. But the rule still stands, I myself got over the habit, and many others. So just going to have to deal with it frankly.
I have never been told on dexworld that I cannot switch to my pistol to unscope from the sniper rifle. The sniper rifle issue is different than with the regular rifle, because you still have to scope in again.

I'm glad that someone already proved there is no difference on the rifle, though. I was going to do a similar video, but even more conclusive. So it seems you have admitted to being incorrect, that the premise behind your rule is disproven, but you still decide to keep the rule even though it literally serves no purpose (holy crap, how stubborn can you get). Still, it seems the sniper rifle issue is a different one. I will wait for others to weigh in.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:46 PM   #12
Domnatr
Five - O

Well i appreciate you needing other opinions on this issue, but it will be the same result. Once again your question has been answered and you refuse to accept it. If you do not like the rules, you do not have to play here. Nobody forces you.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:47 PM   #13
zzoom
zoom zoom

You answered about the rifle reload animation.
I would like to hear from other admins about the sniper rifle issue.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:55 PM   #14
Domnatr
Five - O

There is nothing wrong with unscoping by switching to your pistol. The way however it was explained by an admin I might add, is that you were quickswitching and warned for it. See sonic's post. That is against the rules.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:11 AM   #15
Domnatr
Five - O

I also will add that the rule came about during the counterstrike days when the quickswitch truly did have an advantage. And to carry on the tradition, i.e so there is NEVER any question on the legitimacy of the "quickswitch" as it were, the rule has been held to this date. I don't care if it was fixed back in the beta dod ages, people complain, so to stop the complaints of people saying someone is "scripting" or "hacking" we have outlawed the quickswitch for that very reason. As you, the dod player may find it to be archaic that we would keep around such a rule, but rest assured little camper there is a method to the madness here at dexworld.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:00 PM   #16
PHANTOM
The One and Only

Ok, here it is as simple as it can get.

You are not allowed to bypass any reload animation, this is a bannable offense on this server. By bypassing, I mean using said weapons and switching to a pistol and back again without actually reloading. This regards ANY bolt action/single shot weapon (i.e. any sniper, Kar98, etc).

To make it even easier. None of the weapons in this rule are semi-auto weapons(in real life or in game), therefor using them as such by bypassing the reload goes against our rule.

There is absolutely nothing to discuss over the matter, this is the rule at Dexworld. It does not matter if it may or may not have been debated in the past that doing this makes no difference in the game, this is our rule here and therefor needs to be abide by. It does not matter that other servers allow it, that is their mistake not ours.

Hopefully this clears up this matter, now have fun and enjoy the gameplay.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:23 PM   #17
zzoom
zoom zoom

If I shoot a bullet with my pistol is it ok?

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with unscoping by switching to your pistol. The way however it was explained by an admin I might add, is that you were quickswitching and warned for it. See sonic's post. That is against the rules.
I was "warned" and then kicked for unscoping by switching to the pistol. Is this the same or different than "quickswitching"?

See, now you admins are contradicting each other. Phantom says this is not ok, Domnatr says it is.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #18
zzoom
zoom zoom

Quote:
I also will add that the rule came about during the counterstrike days when the quickswitch truly did have an advantage. And to carry on the tradition, i.e so there is NEVER any question on the legitimacy of the "quickswitch" as it were, the rule has been held to this date. I don't care if it was fixed back in the beta dod ages, people complain, so to stop the complaints of people saying someone is "scripting" or "hacking" we have outlawed the quickswitch for that very reason. As you, the dod player may find it to be archaic that we would keep around such a rule, but rest assured little camper there is a method to the madness here at dexworld.
Funny how you had to throw in "little camper" to re-assure yourself.

Although I think your reasoning is silly, I am glad you have at least (finally) offered a reason for the rule, other than "just because."
Old 12-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #19
zzoom
zoom zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOM View Post
Ok, here it is as simple as it can get.

You are not allowed to bypass any reload animation, this is a bannable offense on this server. By bypassing, I mean using said weapons and switching to a pistol and back again without actually reloading. This regards ANY bolt action/single shot weapon (i.e. any sniper, Kar98, etc).

To make it even easier. None of the weapons in this rule are semi-auto weapons(in real life or in game), therefor using them as such by bypassing the reload goes against our rule.

There is absolutely nothing to discuss over the matter, this is the rule at Dexworld. It does not matter if it may or may not have been debated in the past that doing this makes no difference in the game, this is our rule here and therefor needs to be abide by. It does not matter that other servers allow it, that is their mistake not ours.

Hopefully this clears up this matter, now have fun and enjoy the gameplay.
Ok, I have struggled a lot in the past to make this point to you guys, but a good community/staff is open to discussion and revision of policies. You act as if these "rules" were crafted in stone atop Mount Olympus, by the god of DoD.

You are, of course, allowed to set the rules as you see fit, as you "own" the server. Know that if your goal was to drive away strong players, then I'm sure this rule would be contributing to it. Maybe that's what you want, though.

If I feel like sniping, I will certainly go play on a different server that has made the "mistake" of allowing me to switch to a different weapon after I shoot. Unless you decide, like domnatr said, that it is actually OK to unscope by switching to my pistol -- as was the original question and what I was kicked from the server for doing.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:49 PM   #20
(((Sonic-Death-Monkey)))
high fidelity